Monday, October 10, 2011

Turtles Are Not Speed Bumps!!! (Please Watch For Them)

I was on my way home one night heading away from a street named Veterans. I all of the sudden noticed a police car went into the turn lane going towards Veterans and then flipped his lights on and went into my left lane. I was in the middle lane and was thinking oh great I did something wrong. As I came closer to him and pulled up next to the police car I noticed something in front of the car but figured it was just trash he didn't want someone to hit. I looked closer and realized that it was a turtle he had stopped for and it had been hit by a car already. He picked it up and said, " Oh it is still alive". 

After saying that I immediately responded that I could take care of him and that I am volunteer at The Conservancy Of Southwest Florida. The one thing that kept going through my head as I was heading home with the turtle next to me was," why did this have to happen now of all times?" I mean if it had happened during the day, I would have been able to find help for him right there and then. The next day I went and checked on him to see how he was doing and he had moved around quite a bit during the night which I was glad to see. So after taking him down and leaving I realized I hadn't taken any pictures of him so I called back and asked if it was ok to get a picture. I also offered to stay and help since they were short handed. It is hard to believe how many animals are injured every day.

I checked periodically during the time I was there to see how he was doing by peaking in a corner that was uncovered and from what I could tell he was going to be just fine. They patched him up with gauze and electrical tape on the area of his shell that was broken from the impact of the car. Aside from that what he needed most was just rest to let the wound heal. To end this story while I was there one of the cute animals I saw being helped was this baby squirrel who was being fed. If anyone would like to donate to The Conservancy Of Southwest Florida please click on this link https://www.conservancy.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=478. If you live here locally for example Fort Myers, Naples, Bonita Springs Etc and would like information on volunteering click on this link http://www.conservancy.org/page.aspx?pid=521.









2 comments:

  1. Just incase anyone is wondering how the turtle is doing. I checked on him today to see how he was since leaving him last week Thursday. They said he was healthy and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been browsing on-line greater than three hours as of late, but I by no means found any fascinating article like yours. It's beautiful value enough for me. In my opinion, if all site owners and bloggers made excellent content as you probably did, the web can be a lot more helpful than ever before.
    Also see my webpage - Organic Coffee with Ganoderma Lucidum from Organo Gold

    ReplyDelete

Wildlife Photography By James Hamilton is not responsible for the validity of any comment posted at this site and has the right to remove any comment at any time.