Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Dissecting A Hornets Nest


I apologize for the long absence. I have been dealing with a sinus infection that doesn't want to go away. I am back now and ready to get to work. For Thanksgiving I went to North Carolina and around where we were staying I found this hornets nest that had fixed itself to the underside of a gutter. After a while thinking about it I decided to have it taken apart to show everyone what it looks like on the inside being how impressive looking it is on the outside. As we started cutting into it one thing that we found inside of it was a yellow wasp. I am not sure what it was doing in there as it looked like all the eggs had hatched and were already gone. Layer by layer we removed finding it quite interesting to see how much paper there was and how big the comb was they had built.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wildlife Photography By James Hamilton is not responsible for the validity of any comment posted at this site and has the right to remove any comment at any time.